Monday, January 3, 2011

Udon


Udon is a Japanese soup/noodle dish that is one of The Husband's favorites and I have not been feeling well we have been eating it a lot lately it is very very good.
 One of the best part of it is it is prepared in a very family friendly way. The Husband likes a higher noodle to broth ratio than I do. The Boy is still not good with soupy things so he gets almost no broth at all just noodles and meat and veggies.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
Ingredients
8  ounces  uncooked udon noodles (thick, round fresh Japanese wheat noodles)
1 1/2  teaspoons  bottled minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2  quarts beef broth or Japanese beef soup base
3  tablespoons  low-sodium soy sauce
3  tablespoons  sake (rice wine) or dry sherry if you can not find the sake but I recommend the sake its great to drink with the meal.
1  tablespoon  honey
1 tablespoon oil
1/4  cups  sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
1/2  cup  thinly sliced carrot
8  ounces  top round, thinly sliced (similar to fajita strips thiner if you prefer more well done beef.
1 or 2 hard boiled eggs
3/4  cup onions
1  (6-ounce) bag prewashed baby spinach (or frozen)
Preparation
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. (I usually add the eggs to hard boil to this water too if I don't have any on hand.)
Cut onion in to rings and then slice in half.
Place garlic, pepper, onions and broth in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in soy sauce sake and honey mix well then take off heat. Add all vegitables. Add thinly sliced beef. the heat from the broth should be enought to cook it to a medium well. Cut the hard boiled eggs into slices.
 
To Serve:
Place a serving of noodles in a boil poor broth with meat and veggies over top, placeing some egg slices on top. (for added visual appeal slices green oinions can be sprinked on top and well, if going that root replace the onion in the broth is the hardier ends of the green oinions.)
So I have pictures for this... I really do and I wrote this post in the middle of december but you see for some reason when I click the "add  picutures" button Mozilla crashes (silly beta) and then I try it in IE and I click the button... and Nothing so I click it like 30 more times and still nothing so I am giving you this recipe NOW and I will add the pictures later when the web brousers I have installed (or reinstalled or uninstalled and trying a new one) finally decide that adding pictures is a simple and reasonable task to let me complete.
Edit: Pictures are in! as you can see and all it took was threatening to uninstall the beta it decided to cooperate then.

No comments: