Monday, February 14, 2011

Waiting to Cross the Street (I Love You) by Jonathan Smith

Looking at you,
looking down my
 arm at you,
in the golden mo-
-ment of the traffic
signal, I
can see the days when, kiss-
-ing our good
-byes for the day, we
say, “I love you!” All
full of blood and
ardor.

And I can see the
Years when, the
kids, the bills, the
war and work driving
us crazy, I say,
quietly, “I love you.” And
you respond, “I
love you also,” simply,
as a matter of fact-ly.

And I
see the far evenings
when, washing up after din-
-ner, we
say nothing at all but
hum with our hands in the warm water.
Because it goes without
saying;
it has become, at last
parenthetical.

-Jonathan Smith
Love in Small Doses 
also by Jonathan Smith

First I want to wish everyone a Happy Valentines Day.
Secondly I am going to be playing with this poem graphically and printing it out and framing it, because I love it.

No comments: