Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Chocolate Mousse

Chocolate Mousse so light and creamy and rich <3
 I wanted to make a chocolate mousse, so I started reading recipes. I went to the three people I thought would have something worthwhile to say on the subject. Nigella Lawson, Alton Brown and of course Julia Child.

Nigella wanted me to use marshmallows and as much as she knows chocolate I decided to skip that one.

Alton's was cream based which was along the lines of what I wanted but it used gelatin which seems I don't know, like using the marshmallows since marshmallows are made of gelatin.

Now far be it from me to question Julia on the subject of French food as I am sure her recipe is the best, but it being a true mousse was egg based with no cream at all and the idea of eating that much raw egg made me just a bit nervous.

So I made my own, and I love it. I hope you do too.

McGough Chocolate Mousse
Makes about 8 servings

Ingredients:
12oz good chocolate (the better the chocolate the better the mousse feel free to splurge here)
1 3/4 cups whipping cream (ice cold)
1 good, fresh egg with no cracks in the shell
1/4 cup espresso, or strong brewed coffee
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 teaspoon good vanilla. (As this recipe is not cooked you can bring out the best you got here it will make a difference. )
4 tablespoons butter

Separate the egg setting the whites aside.

Put a large bowl for whipping your cream and the mixer's whisk in the freezer.

In the microwave (or in an oven preheated to 275 then turned off, let it sit about 20 min or so, or over a double boiler if you don't have a microwave) melt your chocolate and butter at about 30 sec intervals string as you go.
When you have a smooth mixture add the espresso and rum mixing well until smooth, it will start to seize on you just keep stirring if it does not loosen up you can add more rum or espresso to get it going but not too much. In then end you want a silky smooth mixture with no lumps.
Beat the egg white until its at the stiff peaks stage.
You will want the chocolate still fairly warm at this point, if it is not heat it up again just slightly, then add the yoke mixing well to combine. Then carefully fold in your whipped egg white to lighten the chocolate and prepare it for the whipped cream. Set this aside to cool now.

In your prepared bowl beat your cold cream until it is at the stiff peak stage then add your vanilla to it and gently mix.
Working quickly but carefully add the whipped cream a little at a time to the chocolate fold it in and working to get a well incorporated mixture.
 As soon as it is mixed evenly and has no streaks put your mousse into your the cups you plan to serve it in and refrigerate for at least an hour. We had some in our fridge for 3 days I am not sure how much longer it would last in the fridge.You can freeze them if well covered I am not sure how long but I would get a up to a month.
You can drop the rum entirely and just use more coffee if you wish, or you can use brandy (I did for this batch) or you can use a liquor to make say Chocolate Orange Mousse or something equally as lovely. Please let me know if you try it I would love to hear how it turned out or answer any questions.

No comments: