Sunday, March 13, 2011

Soy Braised Carrots, Broccoli, and Cauliflower

This recipe was inspired by this one from Kichenist.com. When it started cooking and the pepper and ginger and garlic smells all started to mingle I knew I was going to like this dish, its amazing to me that anyone can travel anywhere in Asia where street venders cook with these flavors and not come back significantly heavier than when they left.This recipe could benefit from the green onions that kichenist used or maybe some sesame seeds, neither I had on hand.

Nearly every recipe I am sharing here is something that I just made so I am not sure all measurements will be exact but I will do my best to share it with you accurately.
Soy Braised Carrots, Broccoli, and Cauliflower
 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger (less if you would prefer)
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons Low Sodium Soy Sauce
3 tablespoons honey (I used 1 honey 2 sugar but that is because I ran out of honey)
8 or 9 carrots peeled and cut into 1/2 sections
2/3 a bag of frozen California medley (broccoli, cauliflower and carrots its what I had I would recommend using fresh so it would hold its shape and texture better.)
1 Tbs. sesame oil
2 packets of raman noodles or 2 cups of cooked rice

Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the garlic. let this cook a few minutes until its fragrant then add the ginger and the black pepper and cook until garlic starts to brown. Add to this the water, soy sauce and honey mix well then add the vegetables. as I was using half fresh half frozen I add the fresh carrots and let them boil until soft before add the frozen and letting the heat come back up. You can add more water if it gets too dry but the end goal is to cook off the water and coat the vegetables in the soy, honey, ginger, garlic mixture. When that has happened remove from heat toss with sesame oil and serve over noddles or rice.


A note about carrots. I have learned that no matter how many carrots I make its never enough. I can double what seems like the right amount and wonder what I will do with the leftovers and my family will scrape the pot clean and asked for more. This recipe did not make enough for my family at least.

No comments: