Monday, September 24, 2012

Apple Butter

Apple Butter is a big deal in our house. Next to the strawberry jam its our go to spread and its so easy to make. I usually make mine with store bought apple sauce not homemade because the homemade is good and I want to eat on its own and I have not noticed a marked difference when made with all natural no sugar added store bought apple sauce and you can pick up some big can of it pretty inexpensively.

the below measurements are pretty rough its more of what ever suits your taste we like ours dark and spicy.

7-8 cups apple sauce
3 tbs cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves

Put everything into your crock pot and let it cook on low without the lid on you will want to stir every few hours or so and you can let it go over night. The basic goal here is to cook off enough liquid to get the apple sauce downs to a thick smooth spreadable texture. it will at least reduce by half after that is up to you how thick you want it.

3 comments:

Jen in MD said...

Traditionally apple butter has some apple cider vinegar in it as well to increase the acidity, have you tried that in yours?

M. Mcgough said...

I have not seen a need for the vinegar as the sugar content is so high and apples are pretty acidic to begin with. Will look into it to see if it is considered necessary for safety I know a lot of that has changed over the years and I am working from a passed on recipe.

Jen in MD said...

I'm not sure the vinegar is just for safety in canning, although it may be. I like the extra sharpness it adds to the flavor.