Friday, May 18, 2012

Banana Bread Gluten Free


Banana Bread is a rare treat in our house. Mostly because bananas never last long enough to need to be turned into banana bread. The Boy has literally eaten an entire bunch by himself in one day, (not with permission of course) The is also the competition of the slightly browned bananas which is smoothies. I love smoothies.. and banana bread. So I was very excited to find a highly recommended gluten free banana bread recipe on Taste of Home.

I made a slight adaption of the recipe, because honestly I never actually follow a recipe. Here is what I did. 
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking flour (I use Bob's Red mill)
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt 
4 eggs 
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (4-5 medium) 
1 cup sugar 
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup white chocolate chips 


Directions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, bananas, sugar, applesauce, butter and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Add the nuts and chocolate chips.


Transfer to a 9 x5 loaf pan coated with butter. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes (not sure on this one my over is having a hard time keeping a consistent temp right now so that is just a guess) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks. I think two pans would have been better and would have cooked more evening than I ended up with.

No comments: