Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Caramel Apple Pork

Vade mecum
I have a full belly and an no pictures of the wonderful food I just ate because even as obsessive a photographer (and I use that word very loosely) I am more of a foodie and I ate it as soon as I could get it on the table. So I am giving you other peoples pictures who are much better at taking pictures of food than I am anyway.

To begin I made caramel. I'd stop by here if you would like some advice on that topic.

I used brown sugar rather than white and I get things started off with a little honey, it makes it melt faster to have something to melt into, at least I think so anyway.

1/3 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons cream (I used whole milk this time)

Melt the sugar in a dry pan stirring constantly with a whisk. when it starts to look and smell like caramel, just starts, take it off the heat, if you under cook it, it will be sweet which is better than burnt and it will continue to caramelize off the heat. add the butter and whisk in until creamy, put on a low heat and add the milk, whisk until smooth.

I then added the caramel to some apple cider (juice works too) and mixed that until well combined and put the whole thing over top of salt and peppered pork chops and apple slices in the crock pot. cooked until the pork was just done. It has a tendency to dry out if you cook until fully done as it continues to cook after it come out.

This is so good I can't even come up with words. I served it with fresh corn and green beans. I am reserving the cooking liquid to use as the base of a pumpkin and carrot soup.


Vade in pace

1 comment:

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

This sounds delicious! And how easy it'll be to get the kids to eat pork when I tell them it is cooked in candy. :-)

A few questions... I have rotten luck with pork. Do you buy bone in pork chops or boneless? How long in the crock pot? I don't know how to know they are almost done.