The plan was originally to do this butternut squash risotto but I had the misfortune of not finding a butternut squash and not having time for a stop at another store so I grabbed some mushrooms instead and decided to wing it. This is what I did.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stick of celery
1 carton cleaned and sliced button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1 cup rice
1 cup dry wine
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp sage
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 oz), plus more for serving
Chop all ingredients saving extras, celery leaf, onion ends and skins (I usually use the out layer too) one extra clove of garlic, I also added some crushed tomato as well about 3 table spoons. in a pot boil the veggies in about 4 cups of water, this will make your veggie broth (increase to 5 if not using the wine). let this simmer for a while to get the flavors worked in then.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add the mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are beginning to soften. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer until absorbed. Add half the broth (1 3/4 cups) and simmer, stirring once, until absorbed. Add the remaining broth and simmer, stirring once, until the rice is tender and creamy and the broth has been absorbed. Stir in the thyme, sage and Parmesan. Serve with additional Parmesan, if desired.
No comments:
Post a Comment