Monday, June 18, 2012

Strawberry Jam


 Early summer is strawberry time and this year I decided to tackle Strawberry Jam.We went picking at a near by farm with some friends.



I have been a little nervous about this because I LOVE strawberry Jam, particularly my grandmother's. She makes a spiced jam with cinnamon and things in it.



 So this is what I wanted to make but I also wanted to make something that did not require an added pectin which I think hers does so I went looking for different recipes and in the end made my own. I have been really really nervous that I would mess it up. but I think it turned out pretty well.



You will need:
1 cup apple butter
0.5 cup apple juice or cider
0.5 cup apple vinegar

If you are not like me and don't have tons of homemade apple butter laying around you can do what Mother's kitchen recommends
"5 tart apples, stems and blossom ends removed and chopped coarsely, cores intact
1 lemons or limes, unpeeled and chopped fine

Boil apples and citrus in enough water to prevent sticking for 20 minutes until soft. Force through a fine sieve with the back of a spoon to make 2 cups puree, or use a food mill if you have one. Now don't go out and buy a food mill - they are expensive and I have never found one worth the money. I snagged the 2 I have at garage sales. A sieve and a spoon works just as well." 

If do this though you will want to add more spices.

8 cups of halved strawberries
4 cups sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon all spice
0.5 teaspoon cloves

If you are adding more spices I would go heavier on the cinnamon and lighter on the cloves.
Combine everything in a large tall pot and bring to a boil. cook it stiring frequently for about 20 min. want it so that when you put a small spoonful on a plate it cools to a jam like sold within 5 min and when you run you finger over it it wrinkles and sticks together.


Ladle the hot Jam into hot (boiled and sterilized) canning jars and place on lids and submerge in boiling water for about 10 min remove carefully and let cool. If they are sealed you will not be able to depress the lids, if you can push the center of the lid down it did not sell well and you will want to put it in the fridge not the pantry. 


Let me know if you try it.


No comments: